Friday 25 April 2014

Pregnancy update 29-31 weeks

The last few weeks have been so busy for appointments - I've had one every week and it looks like it's going to stay that way for the rest of my pregnancy.

I had my GTT test on the 12th along with the normal blood tests you have during pregnancy to check iron levels etc. It was such a long day as they couldn't get me in for my first set of bloods until 10, meaning I wouldn't be eating until past 12 by the time they had taken the second lot. It was such a long day and I was glad for it to be over, although I'm glad I had it done because my mum suffers with diabetes and it's something I've been really worried about.

The week after I went to see my midwife to get the results and have a check up. Everything came back fine which I'm so pleased about. Even my iron levels were okay which was a surprise as they were low throughout my pregnancy with Teddy and they had to keep upping my doses of iron tablets. 

She then checked baby's heartbeat, and again it was really slow. This time it was only 100BPM, 2 weeks before it was 120. She was worried as I was so sent me straight up the hospital for a heart rate trace. 

When they first put me on the machine they were adamant that it was my heartbeat they were hearing, until they put me on a monitor too and realised it actually was baby's. They kept me on it for an hour and the alarm kept going off as it would often drop below 100, sometimes even to 80BPM. The midwife checked it and also seemed worried so took the trace to show the doctor. She came back a minute later - the doctor said it's fine you can go home. I couldn't believe it, how could it be fine if you just said it was slow?

Her reply - if she was a 'normal' baby we would be worried, but as she has a heart defect that's obviously why it's slow. 

I do understand what they are saying, but in another way I was so angry - my baby being referred to as 'not normal' and how can they just put it down to her heart condition without checking properly. After all we've already been told by GOSH that my normal hospital won't know anything about her heart condition because it's so rare.

I asked to see my consultant and was told he's not here and we don't know when he's back. They really are so helpful! I'm actually dreading having her there they seem like they don't care at all.

Anyway I called GOSH when I got home and spoke to my nurse, they have recommended I see my midwife more often to keep an eye on it and I have a scan there on the 21st May. She has reassured me that 100BPM is still good for a heart baby so not to worry for now.

This week I had my whooping cough jab, I didn't have one with Teddy because it came out the week before I needed to have it and no one could give me much information. I knew I'd have it done this time though, we know baby will have a low immune system and will defiantly need all these jabs. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although it's still aching 2 days later!

Next week I have a physio appointment at the hospital, I've been told I have SPD. I'm dealing with it okay at the moment but there are some nights it's really painful especially if I've done a lot that day. Hopefully physio will help and they can give me some more information as I don't know much about it at the minute, other than it hurts!



Because I now have weekly appointments I think I'll start doing weekly pregnancy updates so the posts aren't so long. 

We are also in the middle of decorating Teddy & baby's bedroom, as they will be sharing we've found it hard to come up with a theme that's not plain and boring. But we finally have some idea's and are starting this weekend, I'll post once it's finished :)

XxX


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment