Sunday 19 October 2014

Too tiny

One of the main things Great Ormond Street have told us to keep an eye on is Harper's weight. It's important for her open heart surgery that she is as big as she can possibly be, making it easier for the surgeons and should help with recovery.

Over the last few weeks Harper has gradually dropped down a centile and was heading towards passing another. I was extremely concerned (although my health visitor didn't seem to be) and called GOSH to get their advice.

They have advised me to try a high calorie milk in the hope that this will boost her weight gain, they have started her on SMA high energy which she seems to have taken to pretty well. After only being on it for a few days it seems that it is working as she is now climbing back up the growth chart.

This has made our consultant at GOSH reconsider Harper's next appointment, she wasn't due to be seen until December, but they are now sending an appointment out to see her in the next couple of weeks.

Although I'm so thankful that they want to check her over sooner I'm now terrified that this could mean surgery sooner than they had planned. I had pushed it to the back of my mind thinking that it wouldn't be something we needed to worry about this year, the day is going to come at some point, I just keep hoping that it's not just yet xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment