Thursday 18 September 2014

GOSH Outpatients Aug/Sep

I haven't posted in ages, mainly because I've been struggling to deal with everything and couldn't face writing it all down. 

At Harpers first GOSH appointment back in August we didn't get the news we had hoped for, we were told to expect her to need surgery within the next few months and when I asked about her life expectancy I was told she would 'hopefully go to school'. They told us they were going to discuss Harper with the other cardiologists that evening and would give us another appointment in a months time.

When we went to the follow up appointment last week I had prepared myself to be told she needs surgery now and had to hold back tears in the waiting room. We were called in to the ECHO room and saw a different consultant. He explained that there was some confusion over some of her veins, as her condition changes the place of everything in the body. He said they would need to be clear where they all where before they could operate. 

Once he had finished the ECHO he had a huge smile on his face & told us he had good news. All her veins are in the correct place and doing what they should be. That wasn't all - the hole between the bottom chambers has completely closed, there is no rush to do surgery now. 

I have never felt so relieved, although I know there will be a time that she does need open heart surgery, it's not right now. GOSH don't even need to see her for another 3 months as she's doing so well.

It looks like we will get to spend Christmas all together, something I'm looking forward to more than anything. Although it's still months away I've already started my shopping and looking for new decorations as everything was really rushed last year because we had only moved in to our house at the end of November.


No comments:

Post a Comment