Sunday 23 March 2014

Update 20-25 weeks

In the last few weeks I think I have felt every emotion going. I still have so many questions & although the nurses at Great Ormond Street are brilliant and have told me to call them whenever I need to I'd rather have some answered face to face.

I'd hoped I could talk to the consultant at my normal hospital at the 20 week scan. Unfortunately he couldn't answer anything - I then realised just how rare her condition was. He couldn't answer because he honestly didn't know. Everything else seems to look fine on the scan, she is measuring slightly small but I'm told its nothing to worry about. 

We have managed to find a bit of information online, however it's an American website and the condition is called something different there -Heterotaxy Syndrome. According to the information on there it seems we are pretty lucky that she has Left Atrial Isomerism and not right, as babies with her condition seem to do better and have less problems in the long run.

At my next midwife appointment I had quite a scare. As she listened to the heartbeat she told me it was slow and that we would need to keep an eye on it. The doctor at GOSH had already told us our little girl was at risk of heart block and that if this started to happen she may need to be born early.

But at that stage I was only just 24 weeks, far to early to have her anytime soon. I called the nurse straight away and was relieved to find out that although her heart rate was slower than a healthy baby's, it wasn't slow to them. They start to worry if the heart rate is below 60, hers is double that! So for now she seems to be okay.

There's only 3 days until our next appointment at GOSH & it can't come soon enough. 

XxX





No comments:

Post a Comment