Monday 14 July 2014

Birth story

I've finally got round to writing up my birth story, 3 weeks late! It's going to be a long post so I'm going to split it into two. This post will be up until Harper was born & the second will be on what happened after she went to special care. 

On Tuesday 17th June me & Joe took Teddy to Legoland for the day, which involved a lot of walking! On the journey home I began to get contractions every 10 minutes lasting the whole 2 hour journey home, but once I had got home they had stopped. They then kept coming on and off during the night and stopped completely again. I then had reduced movement on the Wednesday so I went to MFAU just to be checked over. When they put me on the monitor they wasn't happy with her heart rate and asked me to stay in overnight to monitor it. On Thursday morning I saw a consultant first thing who examined me and gave me a sweep and said they would be inducing me as they were worried & as I was 38 weeks didn't see the point in waiting any longer. She also said she didn't think it would take long to get me into labour, I'd just have to wait to be taken down to the high risk ward because of the baby's heart condition  the neonatal team would need to be present. She explained she didn't think the baby would be able to breathe on her own and would need help at birth. They then handed over to a different set of midwifes and the treatment I got was disgusting! 

Our Baby's heart should of been monitored throughout the day - I wasn't monitored once as I was told they didn't have the time to keep checking. I was then told they didn't have a bed on high risk, then they did but didn't have a midwife spare & I'd need one to one care so I wouldn't be taken down till the following day.  

Exactly the same thing happened on the Friday, I was told that they had closed the ward so was expecting to be taken down but was then informed that women in labour were still coming in and there was nothing the hospital could do if they just turned up. By this time I'd had enough and was missing Teddy so decided to discharge myself - they magically found a bed. I was taken down to high risk at 9pm on the Friday and had prostin at 11pm. I started contracting immediately and they were really strong coming every 3 minutes. I was checked again at 6am Saturday morning and was only 2cms so they broke my waters.

The contractions started coming on even stronger and by lunchtime I couldn't cope anymore so asked for an epidural. I really didn't want one as I'd hadn't had any pain relief with Teddy even though I had a 33 hour labour but I was so tired I knew I couldn't deal with the pain anymore. I was terrified but I couldn't wait for the pain to stop. It didn't! The epidural hadn't worked so they had to re do it, but thankfully it worked the second time. After about an hour they checked me again and I was 9cms but baby's head was really high up. They said they'd leave me a couple of hours before I'd start to push. 2 hours later and the head still wasn't down but I was allowed to start pushing, the midwife asked for the neonatal team to be called to say the baby would be on her way. 

It then all happened so quick, I gave 1 push and her head was out, everyone was running round panicking as the neonatal team wasn't there, second push and she was here - still no neonatal team. She was just laying on the bed then she screamed! The neonatal team rushed in and she carried on screaming so I was allowed to hold her. They weighed her and she was 6lb 13oz, you wouldn't of thought it looking at her she was tiny.

The neonatal team then took her off to special care for different checks but Joe was allowed to go with her, with me allowed to go an hour later after the epdiural had worn off.

Joe's sister managed to get a few pictures before they took her away...




XxX

No comments:

Post a Comment